We are obviously big fans of meditation here in the Alaska Rain group. But did you know about all of the benefits associated with meditation? There are about a million reasons to meditate that we have all helped each other discover over the last six months, and we wanted to share a few of those reasons with you.
1. Meditation reduces stress. Studies show that meditation can reduce your blood pressure and your resting heart rate. In today’s society, everyone is always stressed out about work or school or family obligations or a thousand other commitments. But people who meditate for at least 20 minutes a day are more likely to live longer and less likely to develop diseases.
2. Meditation helps you focus. We live in an environment where information is constantly being thrown at us. Facebook, CNN, billboards, Twitter, Instagram, Taylor Swift, Starbucks. Will it ever end? It’s very easy to get caught in the shuffle and develop focus issues or a short attention span. When you take the time to be quiet and go within, you can greatly improve your sense of focus.
3. Meditation helps you relax. So many of us have issues shutting down our minds or not worrying about all of the stressful events of the day. We are all so consumed with the million thoughts and responsibilities and emotions, and sometimes it just gets so cloudy. Meditation helps us to clear our minds and bodies so we are able to relax.
4. Meditation re-aligns you with Spirit. Regardless of your religious beliefs, meditation is an excellent way to reconnect with God, Spirit, Jesus, Budha, whatever you want to call it. Even if you are an atheist and don’t believe in any particular religious or spiritual figure, meditation can make you feel more connected to your brothers and sisters in the human race, your loved ones, and all living beings.
5. Meditation makes you more present. We live in a very fast-paced world. Meditation can give us a little bit of time to slow down and take time for ourselves. Meditation is a great practice to develop throughout your life because it is so beneficial for your body, mind, and soul.
There are so many different reasons why you may want to try meditating. Try the various different meditation methods for some variety and see which method works the best for you. I guarantee you that you will feel a lot better once you start the daily practice.